THE ONLY ONES


"I got there at 1 o'clock and Peter [Perrett] didn't appear. He was in the bath waiting for [his wife] Zena to come and wash his hair! After two hours I said, 'Enough's enough, I'm off'. At that point Peter came in and sat down and started chatting. I was thinking 'Well, I still don't like the band anyway', but then he asked me if I wanted to hear a tape.

[...] I loved his lyrics, the sentiments, his voice. We rehearsed together for two weeks and I thought, 'Yeah, I'm part of this'."

[...]

"At the beginning, a lot of things seemed bizarre. I like the idea of finding myself in a situation where I don't feel comfortable for a while. To my friends, The Only Ones were a bizarre band. Mentally I found myself doubling over to get my head around certain things. I mean, Peter waiting for Zena to wash his hair was beyond me. Him having a girlfriend and a wife. Even "Out There In The Night", I asked him what it was about. It turned out that it was a love song about his cat, which hadn't come home. He adored this cat, it would go in the bath with him and lie on top of him. When he told me the song was about a cat, and the cat was the only creature that gave him unconditional love, I thought 'This guy is definitely different'." -- Alan Mair [The Only Ones bassist] on Peter Perrett [The Only Ones frontman] in Nina Antonia's book The One and Only: Peter Perrett - Homme Fatale