NEW FACES AT BLACKBIRD: RACHEL NELSON

We have a bunch of new people here at Blackbird and in the Field House. Instead of the usual initiation into Blackbird ie: branding and humiliation, we thought we'd just ask em all a few questions so that we could get to know them even better and pass it on to all of you. Make sure you stop in to meet the newbies and check out all the newest arrivals. First up on the block, Rachel Nelson, this girl's smile is infectious and she adds the perfect amount of feminine edge to keep the boys in line. Welcome Rachel!


Where are you from ? I'm from Renton. Technically grew up outside of city limits, in unincorporated King County, so if anyone approaches me with any references to Renton proper I will probably be useless for a decent response.

Favorite color ? My favorite color is blue. Which is weird because I never wear it or use it when decorating, but that's my gut response, so: Blue.

Favorite band ? I don't think I have one supreme favorite band, but I'll probably listen to Sufjan Stevens' music for the rest of my life. I really like Horse Feathers, this band out of Portland that has super pretty strings. And Bonnie "Prince" Billy. And all of Spencer Krug's bands.

I like breakfast, what is your favorite breakfast food ? My favorite breakfast food is donuts from Chuck's Donuts in Renton. Specifically a maple bar, a glazed sprinkle and a chocolate milk. Mmmm.

Where can we find you on a Friday night ? On a Friday night I'm usually lounging on my couch trying to muster up some energy to go out and act my age and/or eating lots of deep-fried food.

What inspires you ? Lady writers inspire me: Flannery O'Connor, Carson McCullers, Anne Sexton. AND MY MOM OF COURSE.

What's the best prank you ever pulled ? The best prank I ever pulled was on my former roommates now-husband, Joe Weaver. A friend and I used his home address to sign him up for as many free newsletters we could find but all under the name "Joe D. Weaner." Super mature, super hilarious. One of the newsletters was for young single mothers and he ended up receiving a package full of complementary formula which was later recalled due to FDA regulations. My favorite newsletter, though, was the one for decorative canes and walking sticks. He and my friend moved to Boston this fall and I've been told his roommates gave out their forwarding address to as many publications as they could.

Anything else we should know? I can touch my tongue to my nose. I got to ride on the Goodyear blimp when I was six. ALSO when I was six I got to go to the super exclusive Club 33 in Disneyland for lunch. I'm really good at Boggle. In the middle of a lake last summer my friend Colette and I tipped my grandparents' canoe over and it almost sunk to the bottom but I saved it. I refused to wear jeans for the first five years of my life. I had a kitten last year named Harriet Tubman and, I kid you not, she totally ran away in the middle of the night.