GELLER AND HAMILTON INTERVIEWS IN VOGUE HOMMES JAPAN

Translations by Alex Scharf.

"Making a new American tradition.

Q1. What’s your idealistic image of a man?
A1. I think being a fashion icon is important, but it doesn’t really interest me. Rather, I think that seeking a style best suited to oneself is the best course of action.

Q2. What are you inspired by?
A2. I love researching various time periods of the places I’m interested in.

Q3. What person do you think of as “cool” right now?
A3. The coolest person in my eyes is my mother.

Q4. When did you first aim to become a fashion designer?
A4. Soon after graduating high school, upon entering The Rhode Island School of Design, I decided to become a fashion designer.

Q5. From what other designers do you take influence?
A5. I have a strong interest in 90s-era Raf Simons, Comme des Garçons, Dries Van Noten, Yohji Yamamoto, Martin Margiela, and Ann Demeulemeester. Of course, Marc Jacobs as well.

Q6. How would you describe the charm of New York in one word?
A6. Home.

Q7. What kind of music do you enjoy now?
A7. My favorite band has been, and always will be, The Cure.

Q8. What kind of art interests you lately?
A8. He’s a friend from college, but definitely Burt Johnson’s drawing, which he does on the internet.

Q9. If you won a million dollars in the lottery, what would you spend it on?
A9. I’d give my interns a salary. After that, I’d buy Chritiano Ronaldo for my favorite soccer team, Hamburger SV.

Q10. What’s your favorite movie?
A10. Luchino Visconti’s Death in Venice.

Q11. Why do you choose to base yourself out of New York City?
A11. After graduation, I fell in love with the city. I’ve never even imagined living elsewhere.

Q12. What’s your essential item for spring and summer?
A12. An oversized vest. As someone who loves layered styles, a vest is a must-have item.

Q13. What’s your favorite color?
A13. Lately, it’s been a deep magenta.

Q14. Why do you choose to have production of your clothing done in Japan?
A14. After a fortunate meeting with the wonderful product team in Japan, I’ve always felt a deep connection to Japan.

Q15. During the time you spent working as a designer with Alexander Plokhov on the brand Cloak, what is your most unforgettable memory?
A15. I’d probably say winning the Ecco Domani Fashion Foundation Award and the Vogue/CFDA grant, as well as launching our first collection."


"The detail-oriented workman.

Q1. What is your idealistic image of a man?
A1. Someone with confidence in themselves, someone elegant as a person. I always respect people with a positive outlook.

Q2. What are you inspired by?
A2. Every part of life, especially art and news.

Q3. What person do you think of as “cool” right now?
A3. My dog, Simon.

Q4. What person do you most want to wear your collection?
A4. I want many different types of people to be able to wear my clothing.

Q5. When did you first aim to become a fashion designer?
A5. 1993.

Q6. From what other designers do you take influence?
A6. Hmm, that’s quite a difficult question. I’m interested in European and Japanese designers, and if I had to name one, I’d say Rei Kawakubo.

Q7. How would you describe the charm of New York in one word?
A7. Tough.

Q8. What’s your favorite spot in New York?
A8. There’s an Irish pub called Wilfie & Nell close to my house which is always full of great people.

Q9. What’s your favorite pair of shoes?
A9. I have a pair of Alden shoes that I’ve worn for quite a long time which I still love. Lately, a pair of black military boots has been getting heavy rotation.

Q10. What music do you think of as cool right now?
A10. Late 70s and early 80s Italian disco.

Q11. What kind of art interests you lately?
A11. Kyoko Tanaka. Also, Akira Kanayama, whose work I saw at the Paula Cooper Gallery.

Q12. What recent movie have you found interesting?
A12. Director Gus Van Sant’s movie “Milk.”

Q13. What animal is most like yourself?
A13. The polar bear.

Q14. If you won a million dollars in the lottery, what would you spend it on?
A14. I’d invest it in my own company.

Q15. Why do you choose to base yourself out of New York City?
A15. I don’t intend to stay here forever. I’d really like to see more of the world, and I have a particular interest in Japan.

Q16. What words of Ralph Lauren, during the time you spent as his assistant, still stick with you?
A16. “Be consistent.”

Q17. After the current American economic crisis, what do you think will happen to the fashion industry?
A17. As a designer, I think we have to continuing challenging ourselves, continue taking risks. Without succumbing to the pressures of the media, we have to continue holding ourselves high."