RYUTA's Welt (Ryuta's World) - Part 2

Konnichiwa. My name is Ryuta aka "Du-tah", a Tokyo-based artist/hobo. I've been in Seattle for three years and now working for Blackbird/The Field House as Vintage Buyer and Merchandiser.

For those who did not get to read Ryuta's Welt-Part 1, please do so. Last week I blogged about styling outfits with The Field House merchandise. This time, I had a fun photo-shoot with Josh styled in an inspiring Blackbird outfit. He is always such a little smily creature, and it was lovely to discover he is a good model.





When I undressed the mannequin to begin styling, my highlight on layers and volumes was definitely in my initial thoughts. As I was styling the outfit, I just realized layers and volumes could differentiate and oppose enormously in a sense that the more layers you add, the more difficult it gets to keep the aesthetically pleasing variation of volume. You can't emphasize volumes without keeping some parts flattened. Thus, I determined to place only a couple volumized points and concentrate on creating more layers.

I have to mention that the Odyn Vovk scarf is incredibly fun to play with. Its subtle colour allows you to match with various outfits, and its volume and length provide you with creative insight to add a little cute insanity to your outfits if you would like.

Overall, by playing with various shapes and textures, it became something like a well-educated but moneyless magician, and I believe that it is successfully bizarre enough to be named as Ryutas Welt.

Whenever I struggle with my creativity as an artist, I shift my focus from, "do I continue?" to observing artistically inspiring objects, such as nature, bodies, and clothing. I am certainly a big fan of crazy, arty and modern clothes. Sometimes these visual elements in clothing that defined garments as modern/high fashion, inspire my other art work.

When it comes to those labels that focus more on extraordinary designs and ideas, rather than practicality and popularity, it is quite obvious how fashion is strongly linked with art to some extent. People question why there're overtly random holes or rips in some clothes, or why some pants seem to have rugby balls in the pockets, but that is like questioning why some artists leave a paint stroke curved instead of neatly straight. It's indisputable, indeed.


有り難う。

Ryuta Iwashita